Recent Development at the Mangawhai Activity Zone includes the Beginner and Open Space Areas, additional street elements, stair setups with hubba ledges and rails and turnaround quarterpipes with concrete and pool coping edge treatments that will connect with the future flow bowl development currently outside of budget.
The Mangawhai Skatepark design by RICH Landscapes looked at integrating a SENSE OF PLACE through the skate environment while being modern in its objectivity and form.
To achieve this SENSE OF PLACE the design connects to its local environment through its history, existing phenomenon and materials.
Areas taken into consideration include:
- Importance of the area to Maori for portage between the Mangawhai Harbour and Kaipara Harbour
- Early settlement being dependant on the harbour as a point of access.
- The typography of Mangawhai from the harbour into the surrounding landform
- Materials and textures of the local environment.
- Attractions in the Mangawhai area
- The design will not be limited to these areas as it can develop through further input and involvement with the local community.